Different international acts regulate the protection of personal data – the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (Art. 12); the European Convention on Human Rights (Art. 8); International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (Art. 17).
In Bulgaria, the guarantees for the privacy rights are set forth by the Constitution of the Republic of Bulgaria, more precisely Art. 32:
(1) The privacy of citizens shall be inviolable. Everyone shall be entitled to protection against any unlawful interference in his private or family affairs and against encroachments on his honour, dignity and reputation.
(2) No one shall be followed, photographed, filmed, recorded or subjected to any other similar activity without his knowledge or despite his express disapproval, except when such actions are permitted by law.
The Personal Data Protection Act was promulgated in the State Gazette, issue 1 as of January 4, 2002. The purpose of the law is to guarantee the inviolability of personality and privacy by assuring protection of individuals in case of unauthorized processing of personal data which refer to them in the process of free movement of data.
Pursuant to the law personal data shall refer to any information relating to a individual who is identified or identifiable, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identification number or to one or more specific features.
Rights granted by the law:
1. Citizens have the right to protection against purposeless and unlawful collection of their data by the state.
2. Citizens have the right to protection against unlawful transferring of data referring to them between institutions.
3. Citizens have the right to know who, when and what type of data and for what purposes is collecting about them.
4. Citizens have the right to access already collected data which refer to them as well as to request the correction or the deletion of these data in the respective cases.
5. Citizens have the right to a special protection of specific data revealing racial or ethnical origin, political or religious belonging, health, sexual life and convictions.